It’s beer o’clock at Victoria Bitter, with thirsty punters now being encouraged to exchange their excess solar energy for slabs of beer—all tracked by the blockchain!
After a hard day’s work, how better to relax than turning your solar credits into liquid amber on the new VB Solar Exchange?
The sun shines on beer and blockchain
The VB Solar Exchange program is driven by innovative blockchain-powered software platform Power Ledger, in conjunction with five-star sustainable energy retailer Diamond Energy.
Diamond Energy will track the excess energy delivered by your home solar system, sharing the data with Carlton & United Breweries (CUB) and Power Ledger. Power Ledger—a pioneer of peer-to-peer energy trading—will then track the number of beers you earn. VB will reinvest the solar credits into the program, or use them to advance the company’s wider sustainability goals.
It’s a win-win. Signed-up customers can track their beer earnings based on the solar energy they’ve exchanged with VB. Victoria Bitter goes on getting cleaner, smarter and—let’s hope—more blockchain savvy.
But let’s cut to the crypto. Every $30 you earn in solar credits can be exchanged for a slab. Slabs are then delivered quarterly, to your door. Any extra beers you earn will be held over to the next quarter, so you go on accumulating the good brew.
As VB says, “whether you’re giving the house a clean, playing with the team, or just wanna go green, your solar panels will be working hard to get you slabs of VB.”
See that beer? Dive in!
There’s a catch though—there are only 500 spots available. So if you’re keen to put your excess solar energy to work, sign up quick as you like.
You have a whole year to sample VB delights (the VB Solar Exchange program ends on March 31, 2022). Assuming you’re still standing at the end, you’ll have had a bumper beerfest.
Hopefully you’ll also be feeling pretty smug about exercising your eco credentials along with your arm!
The nitty gritty details
If you’re keen to give it a shot, there are a few things you should know about how it all works.
- You will need to sign up with Diamond Energy and be in VIC, NSW, QLD (Energex customers only) or SA.
- CUB will exchange one 375ml bottle of VB for each $1.25 of excess solar feed-in credits you earn.
- For every 24 VBs accumulated, CUB will deliver a VB slab to your door.
- You can’t earn more than 30 slabs all-up (come on, be reasonable!)
- The quarters end on June 30 2021, September 30 2021, December 31 2021 and March 31 2022.
- You will receive any feed-in credits not exchanged for beer in a prepaid debit card at the end of each quarter, after you reach your beer slab maximum.
- Cancel anytime!
Interested? Give it a go. Virtual beer doesn’t yet measure up to the real thing….